[Xmca-l] Re: The Heart of Romantic Science

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 20:12:10 PDT 2017

Larry:

I think that verbal art differs from verbal science most in this: in verbal
science, we tend to see the concrete instance as a product of general laws,
but in verbal art we tend to see the general law as made up of concrete
instances. So for example Langston Hughes' poem gives us the general
mumbling in the dark and the veiled stars, but then lists concrete
instances: the poor white pushed away from the fellowship of labor by his
or her own prejudice, the black scarred to the very semantic system of his
or her speech by slavery, the red man pushed off the red land because iron
has been discovered, etc. We know how to find general laws from a multitude
of data points in verbal science, but selecting the best instance from a
generality is a matter of freehanding verbal art.

I am not very good at it, which is why I have to rely on a master like
Langston Hughes. But I will try. When I was in my early twenties, I quit my
job teaching English at a cancer hospital in Beijing and travelled,
illegally, to Tibet (there were only a handful of cities open to foreigners
at that time). Arriving in Lhasa by a truck in the middle of the night, I
had to stumble around the streets until the sun rose. I slept in a large
cement drainpipe that was being installed to try to do away with the open
sewers. The next day I went around trying to find a cheap hotel that didn't
know about the rules against foreigners. Nothing was open except a cinema
and for some reason they were showing a Charlie Chaplin movie in the main
theatre.  It was City Lights: the Tramp meets a blind flower girl, is
mistaken by her for a millionaire passing by, he saves the millionaire from
suicide and then uses the millionaire's car and money to buy all the
flowers and drive the girl home.Now, the dwelling that the girl shared with
her grandmother wasn't just cozy--it was a really materially more
comfortable than all the cheap hotels I'd looked at, better than ninety
percent of the dwellings in Lhasa. There was water, for example, and a
toilet inside instead of just a hole that emptied on the street, and there
was a fire instead of just a heap of quilts and scratchy sheep skins to
keep warm when you went to bed. And yet--we all knew that this girl was
poor, and so was the tramp--he was only pretending to be rich. No one felt
that the girl and the tramp were really rich, or that they were passing
through poverty--they were poor and they were going to stay poor, even when
the girl gets her eyesight back, opens a flower shop, and meets her secret
benefactor and admirer in the last scene (with them both pinching a coin).

Contrary to what Coleridge says, poverty is a stable culture; as Chaplin
shows us, it can even be a very rich one. It isn't the kind of transient
state that Coleridge envisions, like pregnancy. It's more like the age
periods that Vygotsky envisions--a relationship between you and your
environment. It's the relationship between the tramp and the millionaire
that gives us the poverty of the tramp. That--and only that--explains the
relationship between Bernstein's restricted and elaborated codes: we all
have the restricted one, because that's the everyday code we use in the
living of life. But in addition, there exists this highly valued code,
which precisely because it is highly valued is denied to the poor. It
doesn't do any good to celebrate the undoubted richness of the restricted
code if your very eyesight and health depends on getting your hands on the
elaborated one.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

Recent Article: Vygotsky, Halliday, and Hasan: Towards Conceptual
Complementarity

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/W7EDsmNSEwnpIKFRG8Up/full