[Xmca-l] Re: The Heart of Romantic Science

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 18:11:56 PDT 2017

One of the songs Cook's men must have sung here in Australia is “Heart of
Oak” (the hard center of the oak tree that keels were made of). In 1760, it
was part of an opera penned by the Shakespearean actor David Garrick (yes,
that David Garrick--pupil of Samuel Johnson, friend of William Hogarth).
The "wonderful year" it refers to was 1759--the battle for Quebec.

It is still sung as a kind of unofficial anthem in the Australian navy--you
sometimes hear it on Lady Beach, which is a nude beach much favoured by gay
people and sailors here in Sydney. You can see why--the first verse goes
like this:

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,

To add something more to this wonderful year;

To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,

For who are so free as the sons of the waves?

But it must have been sung with a more bitter shade of irony back in the
day. A lot of Cook’s sailors had been press-ganged, and in fact even when
Cook turned down an appointment as master to serve before the mast, his
destitute father was given a pension by the lord of the manor, and there is
some suspicion that his enlistment, which probably deterred the press gangs
from the lord's estate, might have had something to do with it.

Ruqaiya Hasan writes a lot about how bourgeois educational systems have
tried and failed to inculcate “glibspeak”, a faux-scientific register which
uses the abstract nominalizations of scientific language in order to blur
and obscure concrete realities. Here are two of her best hits on the
subject.

Hasan, R. (2003). Globalization, literacy, and ideology. World Englishes 22
(4) 433-448.

Hasan, R. (2006). Literacy, pedagogy, and social change: directions from
Bernstein’s sociology. In Knowledge, Power, and Education Reform: Applying
the sociology of Basil Bernstein. R. Moore, M. Artnot, J. Beck, and H.
Daniels (eds). 211-241.  London: Routledge.

Empirically, though, her most important work was the ten year survey she
did here in Australia that showed a recognizable difference in the way that
parents talked to  preschoolers in working class families and the way that
parents talked to preschoolers in middle class ones—and a recognizable
similarity between the latter and the way that teachers talk to kids in
school. As Mike has pointed out, the “Polyphonic Autobiography” includes a
good account of the debate between Labov and Bernstein on this issue, but
for me it is essentially an empirical and not a political question, and
these studies settles it:

Hasan, R. (1991).  Questions as a mode of learning in everyday talk.  Language
Education, Interaction and Developm,ent: Proceedings of the International
Conference (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam).

Hasan, R. (2002).  Semiotic mediation and mental development in pluralistic
societies: Some implications for tomorrow’s schooling. In Wells and Claxton
(eds). Learning for Life in the 21st Century, Blackwell: London.

Probably the best place to get this stuff is in her Collected Works:

Hasan, R. (2005). Language, Society, and Consciousness. London: Equinox.
(This contains her critical readings of Vygotsky.)

Hasan, R. (2009). Semantic Variation. London: Equinox. (These are where you
find the empirical studies.)

Hasan, R. (2011). Language and Education. London: Equinox. (These are the
socio-political works.)

There was also a good study by Marilyn Fleer and Mariane Hedegaard in MCA
back in 2010—we discussed it here:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749030903222760

But when I suggested that Marilyn’s and Mariane’s results were consistent
with Bernstein’s view of how some codes restrict working class children to
operating machinery and other codes are more consistent with criticizing or
reinforcing social structures, the suggestion was rejected for reasons I
have never really understood. Perhaps it has to do with the Labov/Bernstein
debate that the Polyphonic Autobiography of LCHC serves to
sociohistorically contextualize so well:

http://lchcautobio.ucsd.edu/polyphonic-autobiography/section-1/chapter-2/

The Polyphonic Autobiography makes it clear that in the context of the “War
on Poverty” and the beginnings of the cultural wars, it was easy to miss
the point that Ruqaiya Hasan and Basil Bernstein were making. There’s a
difference between being able to express a complex idea in complex
DISCOURSE (as a child does when arguing with a parent) and being able to
express it in complex GRAMMAR, just as there is a difference between being
able to express a complex idea in complex grammar (as an older child does
in telling a story) and being able to express it in complex vocabulary (as
we see at university). Because human life and leisure are both finite,
there is a real difference in the meaning potential of these different
modes of expression.

Yes, the POTENTIAL meaning potential of all human languages is equal—that
is, all human languages will EVENTUALLY be able to express the whole of the
relevant experience of their speakers, and since humans are equal,
languages are equal in that sense. But no, the ACTUAL meaning potential of
languages is not equal, because the semiotic orientation of language
changes—sociohistorically as well as ontogenetically—and for that reason
that meaning-potential-potential equality lies in the future, not the
present.

Langston Hughes makes the same point, in language that seems particularly
relevant these days:

Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?

And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,

I am the Negro bearing slavery’s scars.

I am the red man driven from the land,

I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek—

And finding only the same old stupid plan

Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak. (…)

O, let America be America again—

The land that never has been yet—
And yet must be—the land where every man is free.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

Recent Article: Vygotsky, Halliday, and Hasan: Towards Conceptual
Complementarity

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/W7EDsmNSEwnpIKFRG8Up/full