[Xmca-l] Re: Our Broken Economy, in One Simple Chart - The New York Times

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 16:22:59 PDT 2017

Hello --

This message from Alfredo struck me as especially vivid and typical of teaching in higher education today. It's that moment of getting back to work in the morning and facing afresh the question, "How can I make my research useful to the human cause?" in the face of the crowd of interests, powers and constraints that condition the response to the question - that moment is familiar to so many people! Including the need to find new jobs, over and over.

Joe and I are now in Viet Nam at Ton Duc Thang University. This is the second time we've come, to teach in the Faculty of Trade Unions and Labor Relations. Like a lot of universities all over the world, it is tooling up to teach in English and become "ranked." One aspect of this is publishing. Faculty are being encouraged (you might say pressured very hard) to publish in journals on certain ranking lists. Success will be rewarded with cash (value of a couple of thousand dollars per article). This is not support for research -- it's pay for research. Joe and I are going to convene and mentor a "research group" and talk about how to get published. The enthusiasm for getting in on this bandwagon is palpable. I'm not kidding. They are highly motivated to do it. But they are not asking "How can I make my research useful to the human cause?"

Joe and I are going to have to tool our mentoring to put Alfredo's question into the picture.

Alfredo's snapshot of him sitting at the start of a work day is like a message from the future. I too would like to hear what the ISCAR community has to say.

Thanks -- Helena

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com
Vietnam blog: helenaworthen.wordpress.com