[Xmca-l] Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

Alexander Surmava alexander.surmava@yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 13:09:04 PDT 2017

Dear David, I didn’t evenmention Marx as antinaturalist. This is the exact citation from my article:“They (evidently – LSV & EVI – A.S.) are also at one in recognizing thesocial, cultural-historical nature of the human psyche, in their antinaturalism.”

I agree with you that Marx andSpinoza can be hardly defined as antinaturalists.

In case of Vygotsky andIlyenkov everything is slightly more complicated. Their common antipathy tonaïve attempts to deduce human psyche directly from corporeal basis, from genesand from neurophysiology is something evident. They both insisted that humanpsychology ascends to culture and history. And this idea makes their positionssimilar to “antinaturalism”. Surely, it doesn’t mean that they reject Nature asthe substance in Spinozian meaning.

Nevertheless, there is aproblem here. And this problem is a problem of transition from Nature toCulture and in this point Vygotsky’s superficial idea of conventional signs andcoin tossing game looks evidently less serious than Ilyenkov’s materialimplements, which are initial and universal form of ideality.

Anyway, I’m slightly afraidthat there is a problem with mutual understanding in our communication, becauseinitially we are following too unlike philosophic traditions…

Thus I don’t know what youmean describing LSV’s methodology as “eclectic”? You mean that he was a thinkerfree from ideological blinders, or you mean that his theoretic culture wasregrettably low?

As for me, I definitely shareposition of Hegel, Marx and Ilyenkov, and estimate eclecticism as the greatestsin for a researcher. Moreover, I am sure that intentionally Vygotsky probablyshared the similar position.

Something else entirely is thefact that involuntarily Vygotsky himself sank into eclecticism to a wideextent. In fact, the trap of eclecticism is a usual risk for a researcher inthe process of building a theory. In the same time eclecticism accuratelyindicates that a researcher got lost in contradictions.

Vygotsky’s interpretation offreedom that is again something what is necessary to discuss.

There is two oppositetraditions in interpretation of this concept in the history of philosophy. Thefirst – Cartesian, the second – Spinozian. (evidently Marxism shares the secondone.)

The Cartesian one implies thata person has a magic ability to act contrary to natural law. Surely, Spinoza asa materialist rejects such a possibility as something fantastic. But it doesn’tmean that Spinoza is a fan of fatalism.

According to Spinoza freedomis not a possibility to dream about fairy tales of totally unfettered freedom.From Spinoza’s point of view to be free, to realize your freedom means torealize your aims. Meanwhile one can realize his/her aims only in he/she willact strictly in accordance with natural necessity.  Only in this case one will be free and willgain his aim. Otherwise, he/she will successfully break their neck. As for LSVhe was thoughtful enough to set up the problem of freedom as the centralproblem of psychology, but being not capable to overcome the Stimulus-Reactiveapproach he had no chance to solve the problem of freedom. Problem of freedomis something absolutely unsolvable for S->R automaton, and it has clear decisionfor acting subject. Anyhow, coin tossing in best case can help to solve senselessproblem of Buridan donkey and can not help a human person in substantial choice.

Probablymy position in this crucial question can be clarified by my PPT presentation “EvaldIlyenkov vs Leo Vygotsky” https://alexandersurmava.academia.edu

Cheers,
Sasha