[Xmca-l] Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Aug 1 15:48:01 PDT 2017

Hi Annalisa,

like you, I am just a learner on all these venerable matters; and so I am here trying to think aloud with you.

Concerning your comment on Descartes and Spinoza, I take it that Spinoza in fact built upon much of what Descartes had written before, and indeed defined the notion of 'substance' in exactly the same way. Only that Spinoza saw that from that definition it could and should not follow that there are two types of substances, soul and body. It did not follow either then that there should be reason for Cartesian doubt, that is, to fear that fiction would be confused with true ideas—a fear that could not be escaped from in the Cartesian system.

Spinoza has it quite straight: 'Doubt, then, never arises in the soul through the thing itself which is the object of doubt. That is, if there should be only one idea in our consciousness, whether true or false, there will be neither doubt nor certainty, but only a certain kind of awareness. For an idea in itself is nothing but a certain awareness. Doubt arises through another idea, which is not so clear and distinct that we can infer from it any certainty as to the thing which is doubted"

I am not sure if all this connects with your characterisation of Spinoza as having seen a 'historical aspect', but I can see grounds to treat it in those terms. Thus, Spinoza was concerned not so much with facts as with necessities and potentialities. So that if for Descartes the relationship between an idea and reality was a problem in and of itself, for Spinoza that relationship was a necessity, or it was not. But if it was a necessity, it was because it 'follows,' which means it is part of a sequence, and not just randomness. And, by contrast to Descartes, this time not a sequence somehow connecting mind with nature, but rather a sequence connecting nature with nature itself.

Spinoza's thinking here reminds me a little (only a little) to Dewey's notion of Inquiry. Thus, Spinoza writes, 'a true idea is simple or compounded of simple ideas, and ... it shows how and why something is the case, or has been so, and that its ideal effects in the soul correspond to the specific reality of its object." It reminds me to inquiry because Spinoza seems to describe a METHOD of observation that thematises the relation between observing and the object being observed in terms of that METHOD. He then applies this to the idea of defining, which he brilliantly illustrates this way of defining with respect to the idea of the 'circle': 'a circle would have to be defined as follows: a figure described by any line of which one end is fixed and the other movable'. Because he defines the thing in terms of HOW it comes to being, which he calls its 'proximate cause' , he can (and needs) to assert that 'given the definition of the thing, there should remain no room for the question: Does it exist?'

Now, whether all this is best characterised as historical, I don't know. I am guessing that such characterisation belongs more to Hegel's undertaking, which was more concrete (rather than formal and mathematical). But perhaps 'historical' is also a known or common way to describe Spinoza. Hopefully others more knowledgeable can help us.

I am not familiar enough to Vedanta, and so I can not comment on the analogies you offer between the two, though a quick google search threw lots of entries on such similarities, which means I still have to read lots!

Yet, I tried to follow you on how the 'potness of the pot' and the 'clayness of the clay' example did fit with all of this, but I could not. In fact, it was a bit hard for me not to see the example as precisely illustrating the Cartesian view, when I was expecting you to do the opposite. Perhaps I do not follow because I only see the elaboration partially. But, whatever the case, your question reminded me of question Ilyenkov raises and which I think is very pertinent and may serve us to better understand your metaphor:

Ilyenkov notes, 'when we wish to establish a relation of some sort between two objects, we always compare not the 'specific' qualities that make one object 'syllable A' and the other a 'table', 'steak', or a 'square', but only those properties that express a 'third' something, different from their existence as the things enumerated'. It does not make sense then to raise the question: 'What is the distance between the syllable A and table' simply because distance is not a property common to the essence of tables and Syllables A. So that 'if there is no 'third' in the nature of the two things common to them both, the very differences between them become quite senseless'. Ilyenkov then, addressing the quintessential philosophical questions, wonders, 'In what are such objects as 'concept' ('idea') and 'thing' related?' With regard to the latter question, Spinoza formulated that thought and extension were two attributes of that third thing that is 'real infinite Nature'. In the example of clay and pot, I was having trouble to find this third thing, and so I found only two.

All this in the hope of learning more,
Alfredo