[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Saddening, maddening and unacceptable -- but we're not surprised.

Yamagata-Lynch, Lisa (Lisa Yamagata-Lynch) lisayl@utk.edu
Thu Apr 27 10:00:00 PDT 2017

Michael,

Thank you for bringing up the point about right and privilege. I agree on your distinction, I agree that when the Internet was originally created and not accessible to all the push was for access to be a right for all. This is just something to think about, I agree that we all have the right to access information, services, and experiences through net neutrality, but somehow once in my mind when that right was extended to a wide audience where now the Internet has become a part of our every day life (something close to what Obama stated while he was president), and yet there are people systematically being disadvantaged from that right because Internet Service Providers (ISP) decided to not extend any services to regions often rural with lower population because it economically does not make sense, and also the same Internet Service Providers will not allow local government entities to lay down high speed Internet infrastructure, then the right for all seem to have become a privilege not extended for all.

After saying all of that, I want to make sure not to make ISPs into villains. That is too simple of a way to look at it. Historically, the US government wanted to provide a lucrative business opportunity to ISPs because the government was not going to lay down the infrastructure for the Information Super Highway and instead created a business environments where cable companies would want to take that expense on their own.

That was a stream of consciousness….

Lisa Yamagata-Lynch, Associate Professor

Psychology and Counseling

http://www.lisayamagatalynch.net<http://www.lisayamagatalynch.net/>

IT Online Program Coordinator

http://itonline.utk.edu/