[Xmca-l] Re: Contrasting 'use-value' & 'value'

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 19:23:51 PDT 2017

Sometimes the answer to a question depends on the answer to a question.
Like:

A: Can I have a beer?
B: Are you eighteen?

So if you tell me that "life" and "living" are two different words, then I
will tell you that they are not ineffable: you can say for example that a
"life" is an instance of "living", or perhaps that "living" is an instance
of "life", and the explanation isn't circular. But if you tell me that
"life" and "living" are just two different wordings of the same meaning,
then I will say that word meaning is ineffable, in the sense that the only
way to define it is in terms of itself.

All word meanings are ineffable in this rather general sense. In order to
explain them, we need other words and other word meanings. Teachers run
into this problem all the time when they try to teach words with
flashcards: If I am teaching the word "kick" and I have a flashcard with a
foot kicking a ball, the child really doesn't know if I am teaching the
meaning "foot", or "ball" or "football" or whatever. The only way to
disambiguate the picture is with words, and that's true of any word meaning
you care to think of. Wittgenstein has a somewhat more elaborate version of
this argument, but I prefer to stick to situations I myself have
experienced (meaning situations that, as Vandy says, I myself have
transformed into a system of word meanings).

We have a system of wordings that tends to privilege entities over
processes. Halliday says that dynamism and synopticity are complementary:
there isn't any sense in which "living" is somehow closer to reality than
"life", and so there also isn't any sense in which one is closer to
idealization than the other. Nevertheless, as Virginia Woolf knew, "Life
stand still here" is a much harder trick to pull off, and it takes kids
many more years to master it.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University