[Xmca-l] Re: Contrasting 'use-value' & 'value'

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:33:29 PDT 2017

In English, the number of syllables or morphemes in a word is often
unclear, while the number of words in a sentence is always fairly clear.
This isn't true for preliterate children, who have a hard time
understanding that "a" and "of" are actually words. It's true enough for
people who can read and write, but its really an accident of
orthography (notice that "it's" appears to be one syllable but two
morphemes, and it's not really clear, even to the normally quite
overwheening "wordcount" function in Word, how many words are
actually there.

Other languages are not like English. So for example in Chinese (a
non-alphabetic language), the number of syllables and morphemes is
always clear, but the number of words in a sentence is quite unclear (when
you read a page of Chinese, there are no spaces between morpho-syllables
that mark out "words". Chinese poetry, and classical Chinese, plays with
this a lot: the unit is the morpheme rather than the word, and the overall
effect (at least on me) is a stream of syllables and morphemes and meanings
but not words.

So I think the place to look for Vygotsky's unit of analysis is not in the
actual word "word" or "word meaning" (slovo or znachenie slova). Holbrook
Mahn has proposed translating "znachenie slova" as "verbal meaning", and
although this isn't exactly an accurate way of presenting how Russian
grammar really works, it IS a good way of getting around the trap set for
those who are only going by the English word meaning of "word meaning".

I think the place to look is in Vygotsky's examples. In the first part of
Thinking and Speech, for example, Vygotsky agrees with Stern that the
child's first "word" has to be construed as not a word but a whole wording.
He goes even further: he says it's a whole "wording-in-context", that is, a
meaning. (And remember, Vygotsky NEVER agrees with Stern about ANYTHING
unless he absolutely has to!) And in the LAST part of Thinking and Speech,
Vygotsky gives many examples: 'the clock fell", "the tram B is arriving",
"Would you like some tea"? What all of these examples have in common is
that they are not single words but they are single wordings.

Remember that Russian has no articles; this is something that Andy himself
points out with respect to whether "perezhivanie" should be "a
perizhivanie" or just "perizhivanie". I think Andy's observation is
essentially correct (although of course we undo part of his insight when we
insist that all languages must "really" have an article of some kind). But
it needs to be generalized: Vygotsky could NOT have ever written that
the unit of analysis is "a" word meaning, simply because "a", as any
preliterate child will tell you, is not a word (and certainly not a Russian
word).

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM, WEBSTER, DAVID S. <d.s.webster@durham.ac.uk