[Xmca-l] Re: Writing date of Leontiev - The Present Tasks ofSovietPsychology ?

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:31:02 PDT 2017

HI — I followed the link provided by Mike:

>> http://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Mail/xmcamail.2011_12.dir/msg00047.html

which got me started reading the chapter by Hiebsch, where I found what I copy below. Isn’t the discussion about mediation a revival of this fundamental issue? Idealism means dualism; the existence of something non-material which we would call “mind” or “consciousness”.  “Materialism” eliminates that non-material thing, whatever it is, and turns to culture, words, language, history and other aspects of social interaction to explain how human beings differ from animals.

I don’t see how mediation exposes CHAT to the charge of dualism, though/ I would say mediation is necessary to avoid the charge of dualism. What you pick to do the mediation then is the question.

It’s a pretty riviting chapter.  Here’s a quote from pages 12-13:

"The history of psychology, like that,
of other sciences, is the history of the conflict between
materialism and idealism. All progressive thinkers were
adherents of the materialist theory, while idealism al-
ways provided a foundation of reactionary views. It not
only hampered the progress of sciences, but was an
obstacle to their very formation. We define idealism as
all philosophical theories according to which the psychic
factor is something autonomous and independent of mat-
ter; i.e., it is not a special property of matter, nor is it
a product of the brain. We define materialism, on the
contrary, as all the theories which start from the assump-
tion that the psychic factor has no independent existence,
but is only a property of matter and is formed in the
long process of its development.”

This is particularly interesting to me becuase of working with researchers in Viet Nam — where the education system post-1975 was heavily influenced by the USSR. the few social scientists i have met recognize the name Vygotsky but i’ll bet that their view of his work is all the post-1936 version, which would explain a lot about what I am running into.

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com
Berkeley, CA 94707
Blog about US and Viet Nam: helenaworthen.wordpress.com