[Xmca-l] Re: Writing date of Leontiev - The Present Tasks of Soviet Psychology ?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 14 09:06:35 PDT 2017

The experience of reading those articles helped to deepen our understanding
of the Vygotsky-Leontiev falling out, Clay. For those, like myself, for
whom the grounding of our analyses in everyday activities is a central
concern, Leontiev gave a way to motivate deeper theorizing of the "context"
of mediated action.

Along with Yrjo Engestrom, Arne Raiethel, Alfred Lang, and others we came
up with the "chat" name for attempts to supersede the differences between
them. Pushed toward extremes signocentricism and authoritarian behaviorism,
we opted for both/and.

We have been chatting here ever since. And as you can see, recycling and
re-thinking prior understandings as we go.

mike