[Xmca-l] Re: Current takes on the 'later' Vygotsky

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Apr 11 10:33:31 PDT 2017

Dear Helena,

thanks for your careful reading/commenting on the Theorizing with/out mediators article.

We were indeed concerned that readers may be going to take us as saying that 'tools,' artefacts, etc, no longer were relevant, or that they made no special attention. This is why, through the last two​ pages, we warn the reader ​NOT ​to take us in that sense. I (we) cannot but agree that the QRH in our study, or the labor contract in your example, are integral to whatever social phenomenon we are trying to explain, as we argue in the article.

But it is also important to note that the critique concerns mediation as a concept for the (social) scientific inquiry into ​​human activity, and not *every* use of the term outside that program of inquiry​. As you, I also find it useful to say that a labor contract 'mediates' between employees, workers, and unions. Some may want to say that the USS Carl Vinson is 'mediating' in the US-North Korea relations. Still, that will not *explain* the social phenomenon, for contracts and aircraft carriers are just parts (however important) of much larger fields of semantic organisation.

To me, the problem comes when the social inquiry is closed or concluded by saying that this or this other thing mediates this or that other thing; which is very often the case. If anything, that should be a start; and perhaps not the best start. For if you were to take the QRH out, then we may still ​find that 'language' mediated between the pilot and the examiner; or that their present relation mediates between their past relation and their future relation. What in every case we would be trying to do is ​specifying just how practices are organised so that social change can be accounted for.

You mention that unit analysis vs analysis by elements does not really make a difference in practice. Our critique, however, is built on the assumption that it does indeed make a difference. You agree that the extended excerpt in p. 10 does show the event from a unit perspective. To me, becoming aware that words inherently belong to (at least) two persons, ​rather than 'mediating' between them, really makes a difference. For such a 'belief' may have deep implications for they way attributions of *responsibility* may be drawn in practice. For if I am hard-wired on the belief that I am I, and that you are you, and that we are 'using' words that mediate between us , my orientation and attitude (and my way of being responsive to and therefore responsible) towards solving any conflict will be very different than if I were aware that I am we, and you are we, and that these words are as much ours as they are not.

Glad that this conversation is going on!

Alfredo