[Xmca-l] Re: Parts and wholes

Rein Raud rein.raud@tlu.ee
Sat Sep 3 09:27:58 PDT 2016

Greg: yes, this would also be my own ontological position: what we refer to as entities are bundles of relations between singular instances of being that are not continuous and self-identical. However, this view is not necessarily dominant, most people refer to things as complete-in-themselves entities. What is important is that if we adopt this position toward all entities, then the word “stone” would have to refer only to the relations between its constituents and not, in any way, to these constituents themselves. I am not sure if most people would be comfortable with this move. The arch, however, would be easily conceivable as an arch also if it were to consist, say, of blocks of ice instead of stones. I may have referred to this before, but it is a good example: the Ise Shrine, the main Shinto shrine of the Sun Goddess, is torn down every 20 years and built anew, according to the same blueprint, from new wood, and yet the Japanese consider it to be the same shrine, not a copy, not a rebuilding, but the same, because its structure is (in fact, allegedly) the same.

Alfredo: yes, there is an analogy, but in my understanding it would be incorrect to distinguish between “mental” as opposed to “real” or “natural”, and allocate a great deal of reality to the latter domain because, as Greg just said, the “natural” is just as relation-based as the material embodiment of a human idea. In that sense, all perceived objects are mental, because we prefer to see them as things in their own right rather than as more or less consistent bundles of relations between constituents that are divisible at least beyond the reach of our perceptual apparatus.

With best wishes,

Rein