[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:34:04 PDT 2016

On 28 October 2016 at 15:16, Jenna McWilliams <jennamcjenna@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I do think the people who choose to "stay clear," as you say, of gender
> are those who tend to feel that accusations of sexism are, as you say,
> "arbitrary." They're nearly always not arbitrary, no matter how confusing
> it may feel to be on the receiving end of such an accusation.

By arbitrary I mean the relative scope of what is logically perceived and,
worse, when the logic itself is perceived to be part of the power
relation.  I.e. when a request to heed the logic is itself treated as
exercising an abusive power.  It is true that logic is powerful -- a hard
won skill -- but I think it is madness to politicise it.  If you could
disentangle the various sources of power, then perhaps it would be a
simpler problem.

I hope that helps and I'm happy to continue offline.

Best,
Huw