[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Jacob McWilliams jennamcjenna@gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:53:34 PDT 2016

I spent several days hesitating and debating over whether to jump in on
this thread, even though I have extremely strong feelings about this issue.

First, some positionality: I write as a relative newcomer to xmca, having
joined the listserv about 7 years ago. When I joined, I identified as a
woman. Today I identify as a transgender man. This perspective leads me to
start by arguing that the issue isn't (only) about how many women post, and
how frequently, or about whether women's posts are taken up by others on
the listserv. Rather, in my experience the problem is that gendered
concerns are rarely taken up, regardless of the gender identity of the
person who introduces them. For example, I remember trying to push for a
conversation about trigger warnings a few years back; that conversation
focused for a tiny bit on "academic freedom" but almost not at all on the
epistemological or theoretical (feminist) concerns that lie beneath the
movement toward trauma-inclusive education. I'm obviously still a
subscriber to the listserv, but I'm also almost exclusively a lurker. Every
once in a while I see a thread that makes me think something like "oh, a
feminist framework would take this idea on differently..." but I almost
never jump in to the thread to share these thoughts. What's the point,
after all, if you know you're going to spend time and energy crafting an
idea or a provocation that is going to fall with a thud?

Certainly, female academics care about a whole host of things *other *than
gendered issues. But what I perceive as a general disinterest in
perspectives that incorporate a gender or feminist framework is, I think, a
significant reason that accounts for why the listserv is dominated by men.

I've learned a lot--a LOT--from xmca. I consider this listserv to be a
really important piece of my doctoral education, and I've loved having
access to people like Mike and other foundational theory-builders. But my
learning has mostly been through lurking, and not through active
participation. I participate in theory-building and problem-solving on
other listservs.

Jacob (formerly Jenna) McWilliams
Learning Sciences and Human Development Program
University of Colorado Boulder
j.mcwilliams@colorado.edu
http://www.jacobmcwilliams.com <http://www.jennamcwilliams.com>