[Xmca-l] Re: Time for a Generational Change

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Mon Oct 24 22:39:34 PDT 2016

Dear Mike,

It is hard to say "thank you" to a person who has given so much to so many of us. Your commitment to our community which you have constructed, encouraged,led, and at times, gently chided,is unparalleled. I join those who have already written and those who are still trying to find the words to express our collective and personal gratitude for keeping the discourse alive. You have given many of us an intellectual home, and encouraged us to believe that at a time when dignified exchange of ideas and debate are rare, it is still possible, when ably nourished.

Warmest wishes for a slowing down time.

Gratefully,

Vera

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 5:31 PM
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Time for a Generational Change

I will add my appreciation to what others have said, ... but words almost fail me. No-one, no-one in my life has taught me as much as Mike Cole, and dare I say that if I managed a little real development late in life it was thanks to Mike Cole and this amazing list. The amount of work which goes into the kind of care Mike has given to moderating this list  and personal correspondence is breathtaking and I will be forever grateful for that. And when I refer to what Mike "taught" me, this was almost always only by creating expectations. I think very often Mike didn't even understand what I was saying, but somehow despite this, he gave me the kind of guidance that I think everyone craves. Thank you, Mike.

For my own part, the horizons of my interests are closing in on me these days, the energy for reading new theories and philosophies has almost dried up. I am reading many more novels than treatises these days. So it is doubtless timely to extend my thanks to all the wonderful correspondents on xmca who have given me a hand up over and over down the years.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy