[Xmca-l] Re: Analytic/synthetic

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:08:17 PDT 2016

>From experience, I know that young children (e.g. 1 year olds) do not like
to build things either, but are rather compulsive at knocking things down.
Building blocks seem to say "knock me down" earlier than they say "build me
up".  I have a video of one building a tower from a collection of tea-bag
boxes (spontaneously) when (going by the video date) he is 14 months.

I suspect what would be worth looking at is the development of conscious
goals, rather than conscious reactions.  The young child can babble out
loud and clearly has a goal in mind. For younger children the goal is
simply to knock the tower over, perhaps compulsively -- i.e. with less
consciously directed operations.

Might be helpful?

Best,
Huw