[Xmca-l] Re: Prototyping

Shirin Vossoughi shirinvossoughi@gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:29:46 PDT 2016

Thank you Phillip and all

I was very happy to come across the Chachra as I think she draws attention
to these other forms of making (mending, repair, caring) that may be
undervalued by the "maker movement", but also that making itself as an
umbrella term that other forms of human activity are now somehow
accountable to is too narrow. Here is her piece for those who might be
interested:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/why-i-am-not-a-maker/384767/

One of the things that continues to worry me is the focus on subject-object
relations over and above subject-subject relations within making. Or that
subject-subject relations become valued in so far as they lead to the
generation of more innovative products, but not as ends in themselves
(maybe this is more along the lines of conviviality?). This relates in my
mind to the ways teaching is often positioned as inherently didactic and
problematic rather than as a potentially powerful, beautiful (and
bi-directional) relation.

Zaza I am very much looking forward to reading your paper. Thank you for
sharing it here.

Shirin