[Xmca-l] Re: Prototyping

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:41:39 PDT 2016

Michael,
As a fragment, this tools for conviviality seems to indicate the theme i was exploring. By the others actions/gestures ( a musician) exploring for example a potential of this musical instrument through the gestures of this particular other  we come to know the instrument but more importantly we come to experience the instruments musicality. (notice the ity). This is the instruments *inner* meaning.
Now this gesture of the other calls me to pick up the instrument and i produce squawking sounds.
However i have now experienced the meaning of the instrument and its *potential*.
I have an *assumption* of the instruments meaning and can in the future participate in a *resumption* with others of the instuments potential meaning (its musicality).

Intentionality (of meaning) is being *played out* at multiple levels through the gestures of the other *addressing* me and i am carried along directed towards the *subject matter* ( the musicality) the meaningfulness of the instrument through which the meaning potential is being played out.
This conviviality is implicating me in coming to know and coming to be in a shared world where we are part of each other

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Glassman, Michael
Sent: October 19, 2016 12:27 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Prototyping

It's interesting, I haven't really been following the conversation due to other pressures, but then I saw Mike post this article, which I happened to pick up yesterday.  Based on some recent conversations I have been reading Ivan Illich in some depth recently, and that's what brought me around to the maker movement.  But I have to admit I am having a difficult time getting my head around it.  Is the maker movement a replaying of Tools for Conviviality - the idea that by exploring how things work in the world we come to know and be part of each other?  Or is it attempting to put learners in some type of system, give them the right tools and let them build and they will somehow end up in a learning place.  It's interesting that the Maker movement, at least as represented by the fellow Doughtery at the Technology, Education and Design conference in Detroit, seems to be an offshoot of the Silicon Valley/Libertarian approach to technology.  Let loose young innovators upon the world and see the power that they will create!!!  As the article suggests this is a very elitist view of how individuals see the world and their own success.  Like Grit (also introduced at a Technology, Entertainment and Design conference) it allows the entrepreneurs  to say I am successful because I got out there and innovated, and did it with a lot of grit.  Does the maker movement allow us to cast innovation in a libertarian mold.  Almost the opposite of what Illich thought about this type of exploration I think.  For him to my current reading it is more about transparency, the idea that nobody is controlling you, but you through your own actions can know the world.

Anyway, that's enough of rambling for the moment.  I guess you can see how scattershot my thinking is about all this.  I keep wondering about its relationship to the DIY movement of the sixties, bootstrapping and the Homebrew Computer Club in the seventies, and how that all got turned in to a libertarian mosh in the eighties.

Michael