[Xmca-l] Re: Prototyping

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:57:35 PDT 2016

Thanks to Philip White for pointing me to the alternative (and preferred)
spelling "jury-rigged". In looking that up, I also found "jerry-built" as
another term.
(My dad was from Indiana and he always pronounced it "jerry-rigged").

These all differ from the term "hack" which, for me, simultaneously has
connotations of elitism and cultural critique but I'm not sure I could say
why (maybe because I've heard it frequently used with Ikea - Ikea hacking).

"Jailbreaking" is an interesting one too - as in "jailbreaking your
iPhone." That is where you take an existing technology and rebuild it for
some design other than what it was intended. (I had a friend who was
building an online educational credentialing website that used the phrase
"jailbreaking the college degree" - some real trouble there, but I support
the idea in principle).

Really appreciate Zaza's paper as well as Shirin et al's paper...

-greg