[Xmca-l] Re: JoLLE Conference

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Wed Oct 12 07:16:39 PDT 2016

Greetings,

Due to the circumstances surrounding the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, the editors of the Journal of Language and Literacy Education have decided to extend the 2017 Winter Conference submission deadline to Sunday, October 30, by 11:59 p.m. EST. While this extension is available for everyone considering submitting a proposal to JoLLE, our thoughts go out to all those affected by the recent natural disaster, and we hope this extension gives more of our neighbors a chance to be part of JoLLE this year.

Sincerely,

Peter Smagorinsky
JoLLE Faculty Advisor

From: Peter Smagorinsky
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:45 AM
To: Hillocks@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; NCRLL@lists.service.ohio-state.edu; 'LLE-L@listserv.uga.edu' <LLE-L@listserv.uga.edu>; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity (xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu) <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: JoLLE Conference

Hello Friends,

Please consider submitting a proposal to the Journal of Language and Literacy's 2017 Winter Conference.  The theme of this year's conference and subsequent spring issue is Out of the Box and Into the Margins.   This year JoLLE features educators and students who take risks, sometimes subversively, to employ and widen the spaces between the essentializing forces that we all face.  We invite artists, gamers, remixers, techies, and fandoms.  We invite all who experiment with the intertwining of identities and all who refuse to be labeled to share and explore how to exert agency within highly constrained contexts--or, in other words, how to move out of the box and into the margins.  We invite national and international scholars with ranging research interests in language and literacy education to join us for a participatory conversation on various topics within our field.

JoLLE understands literacy in broad terms and welcomes a range of research projects, approaches, and methods.  A hallmark of the JoLLE Conference is the interactive and engaging presentations for both attendees and presenters.  The deadline for conference proposal submissions is October 12, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.  There is more information available both in the attached flyer and at http://jolle.coe.uga.edu/conference/.  Feel free to share this information widely with others.

Additionally, JoLLE, a peer-reviewed journal, welcomes manuscript submissions for its Spring 2016 issue based on the conference theme, and invites those who present at the conference to consider submitting papers for publication consideration.  The deadline for manuscript submissions based on the conference theme is February 28, 2017.

Direct any questions about the conference to the chair, Rachel Kaminski Sanders at rks76772@uga.edu<mailto:rks76772@uga.edu>.