[Xmca-l] Re: Kukiya--kiya incident and question

Zaza Kabayadondo zaza.kabayadondo@gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:43:05 PDT 2016

I'm sending a separate response to *Mike's request: Could you perhaps post
a note about the two diagrams and how you move from transcript to diagram?*

The two figures could have been plotted as Cartesian graphs but this would
not have shown the relationship as clearly. Imagine a graph with time on
the x-axis, and how much of that activity occurs at any given time on the
y-axis. In Figures 2 and 3 I have used a clock instead because the clock
showed the overlap in the different threads of talk better than Cartesian
representation. The clocks can be read from 12 o'clock and clockwise. The
thickness of each wedge indicates how much of thread is taking place at
that time.

As described in the paper, there are four threads - Bids, Themes, Contexts,
and Scaffolds. As the participants talk: they make *bids* for teammates'
attention; their talk describes *themes* relating to the topic of
breastfeeding eg intimacy; and they outline possible *contexts* for use of
the prototype eg on a bus; and they discuss *scaffolds* to building a
better prototype or improving the idea of their invention. This talk was
recorded and because each bid, theme, scaffold, and context was time
stamped, it was possible to map which threads where occurring when and for
how long.

Figure 2  shows a fragment of their conversation (included in transcript in
the paper) that lasted roughly 12 minutes; and Figure 3 shows the entire
conversation that took place during the prototyping (roughly 48 minutes).

In the 12 minute fragment (Figure 2) they are making mostly bids, and these
are interspersed with more discussion about the relevant themes. (As
described in the paper: "The team focuses on three themes in their
discussion: talk about the intimacy of breastfeeding; about the textural
experience of using the prototype; and about physical or aesthetic aspects
of the prototype."

​

Interesting patterns can be seen from the full scope of their conversation.
Figure 3 (48 minutes) shows the evolution of their thinking (or talking) on
the prototype. This talk precedes their decision on what to build for their
prototype and continues to happen as they build the prototype. What becomes
clear is that the team makes a lot of bids in the first half of the session
(1 to 6 o'clock). Themes are spread evenly throughout the session. Contexts
are discussed at intervals - almost as though the teammates take stock of
what the prototype (as it is currently built) is saying, and then must
deliberate on whether this prototype fits a desired context or if some
adjustments must be made. The scaffolds don't really show up until after
6pm, at the expense of bids.

​

I've included these images as separate files in case that's an easier way
to access them. I welcome and appreciate your comments and questions.