[Xmca-l] Re: From newyorker.com: He’s Back

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Oct 7 22:33:24 PDT 2016

A good read Larry, mostly good on Marx, but I don't accept
his theory of "history of accident" - Lenin, for example,
was not the only Marxist in Russia, and an interest in Marx
recovered after the fall of the soviet union by clearing
away the legacy of official Marxism - and he skims over
Piketty's total failure to understand Marx - Piketty can
simply use data to make the points Marx made with philosophy
150 years before these things came to pass, so Piketty
doesn't need to understand Marx: he just has to know how to
use a slide rule. Some of the ideas ascribed to Marx are not
correct, but who cares, it's still a good read and worth
thinking about.

I liked his book on the American Pragmatists, too.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy