[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 5 17:13:57 PDT 2016

Hi All-

This conversation has sparked some really interesting ideas already. I
wanted to highlight two of your comments, David, that struck me as worth
digging more deeply in to before they fly away into the past.

The first was from yesterday's initial note and the second from today's
responding to Zaza's note.

Each got me thinking. Regarding the first pausing points for me was where
you wrote toward the end of your note

*I wonder if high resolution technology isn't intrinsically disinheriting*
*..*

So here is provoked thought #1. Might it be useful to answer your question
in the affirmative, and generalize it beyond high resolution technology to
"technologies that require high levels of socially coordinated action
sustained over long periods of time to create." Maybe something as general
as  "very valuable technologies" might be intrinsicially dis-inheriting.
The social processes involved in creating those technologies are rife with
existing inequalities of rank/status/role........ and, except in
exceptional circumstances (?) those inequalities are increased with the
introduction of new higher resolution/more valuable,

Anyway, i believe the answer to your question is yes, even if I think so
for confused reasons (!)

Second

Making the analogy between LSV's (and ARL's) insistence on the importance
of the study of decline and such regressions in Zimbabwe and elsewhere was
really thought provoking for me.

And linking this to his defektology is also helpful.

*that is, seeing the decay of higher functions as an example of their
development in reverse motion (a stripping away of layers to reveal how
they were laid on in the first place). *

In my view, the revival of interest in Vygotsky's defektology as a
methodological commitment as well as a moral commitment seems like one of
the potential growing points of contemporary CHAT studies.

To make the parallel with historical change provides the other side to
Luria's optimistic view of 1931.The first entry that comes up under Fergana
Valley, a site of his work in Central Asia on google is the following:

http://enews.fergananews.com/index.php?did=2&bracket_flag=1

Plenty of kukiya-kiya going on in that area of the world these days, I
suspect.

Are we back to the view, which Dewey implemented as part of his curriculum,
that ontogeny recapitulates history? For better and for worse?

Thanks all for all the thought generation.

mike

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch