[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Zaza Kabayadondo zaza.kabayadondo@gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:15:32 PDT 2016

Thank you David and Alfredo for being among the first intrepid readers and
for your positive comments on the article.

I also want to thank Mike, Bonnie, Jen, Victor, and Natalia for their
organization, support, and persistence in promoting this article for
discussion.

I want to introduce myself to you all and to address any questions and
discussion points that come up in this thread.

I am from Zimbabwe and have lived in Norway, Australia, and the United
States (Massachusetts and California). I left Zimbabwe in 2003, years after
the contentious land reform program of 1999-2001. After all agricultural
production ceased in those years, the country slid into a state of economic
free fall that persists and worsens today. The displacement of livelihoods,
and of a Zimbabwean diaspora, has forced new activities to emerge:
kukiya-kiya, the everyday hustle that allows citizens to make-do, to source
food, money, and deals that can get them by for one more day.

This research is inspired by the ongoing crisis in Zimbabwe. Because of
economic collapse, Zimbabweans describe themselves as being on the margins,
or fringes, politically, geographically, historically. More simply put:
these are not normal times for the country, and the crisis isolates its
citizens from the rest of the world. One scholar of the crisis, Jeremy
Jones, has referred to this difficult period for Zimbabweans as a
"suspension of the spatio-temporal horizon." (referenced in the article as
Jones, 2010) Because the crisis translates to the collapse and disrepair of
everyday tools and infrastructure, I find it more helpful to look at the
crisis as an environment of heightened sensory attention to the material
that make the relationships between mind, culture, and activity more
pronounced. The objects surrounding us, in their state of displacement or
disgrace, don't only communicate affordances in regards to possible
physical action, they also inspire a very productive questioning (and
sometimes despair) and reimagining of who we are as social beings.

David is very right in drawing attention to the concept of disinheritance
as a marriage of Marx's alienation and Vygotsky's cultural heritage. With
the concept of disinheritance, I am trying to embrace both, so that we can
think about the mind with an eye for processes that alienate or
disenfranchise learners. What is going on in the mind when one is alienated
from present activity? In what ways can the activity of making do
(resourcefulness or the hustle to survive in abnormal times) enrich the
models we have for mind and culture?

To Alfredo's last comment about the many connections and pursuit of open
threads - what a pleasant and happy outcome! I have every hope that, while
this is indeed a case study from a very unusual time and place, the concept
of disinheritance can be useful for examining everyday activity in normal
times too. Recently, a colleague who studies the history of segregation in
the United States, mentioned she could see disinheritance at play in
"Whites-only" spaces and objects. I am curious to hear what other threads
and connections XMCA readers find.

Looking forward to more discussion,

Zaza