[Xmca-l] Re: MCA Issue 3 article for discussion Re-started

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:15:31 PST 2016

Well, I understood that, Huw. But I think there are really TWO different
ways of applying an approach to any content. One way I would call
"multi-disciplinary". You take language or coding and you just treat it as
a technology. "Kids--today we are going to see how we use language/coding
in art/music/math/science." But the second way I would call
"trans-disciplinary". You take language or coding and you treat it as a
theme--that is, a concept, which enables the study of any particular
content area (any content area can be studied as meaning and any content
area can be studied as information).

Take for example non-decimal number systems. We COULD approach the content
area in a multi-disciplinary way, and study minutes and hours, or weeks and
months, both of which depend on non-decimal counting systems. But we could
ALSO approach the content area in a transdisciplinary way, which involves
establishing a unit of analysis which is at one and the same time minimally
complex and maximally simple (that is, it contains morphological analogues
of the phenomenon we want to investigate but it is also small enough to fit
in the mouth and the mind of a child).

For non-decimal numbers systems, it seems to me that binary counting
systems fit the bill. That is, they contain morphological analogues of any
non-decimal number system (digital information, place value, carrying
digits, etc.) but they also are small enough to fit in the mouth and the
mind of a child (because actually systems of polarity, like yes/no
questions, are essentially binary counting systems). And--what's more--I
think that binary counting systems are also a good unit of analysis for
coding, although that's probably something you know a whole lot more about
than me or anybody else on this list for that matter.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University