[Xmca-l] Re: MCA Issue 3 article for discussion Re-started

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Nov 25 15:38:11 PST 2016

This is not a one-off event, Huw. I writing his PhD
Dissertation on the philosophy of Nature of Democritus and
Epicurus he was taking a position opposite to that of Hegel.
The dissertation was published in 1841 when Marx was aged
22. He credits Feuerbach with the impulse to take a stronger
materialist line against Hegel with the publication of the
Essence of Christianity in 1841. His notes on Hegel's
Philosophy of Right (1843) show that he was trying to take a
dismissive attitude to Hegel, and it is only in the Theses
on Feuerbach and The German Ideology of 1845 where the
outlines of Marx's distinctive critique of Hegel are clearly
present, as David notes, in the form of a critique of
Feuerbach. It is reasonable to suppose that he was working
out this position at the time he wrote the 1844 Manuscripts.
However, he is still working on how to use Hegel as he
writes his Political Economy material in 1857-58, after
which his position is pretty settled. However, his turn to
Hegel in 1881 to understand calculus, only 2 years before
his death, demonstrate that this was an unfinished task.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy