[Xmca-l] Re: zone of next development

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:56:48 PST 2016

Peter:

Oh, Vygotsky's being metaphorical! But of course every metaphor is ALSO a
translation problem, because unless you are careful, what is metaphorical
in one language becomes literal when you translate it. Even a successful
translation of metaphor often fails, because some metaphor you thought was
marvellously fresh and original turns out to be completely trite and banal
to native speakers (e.g. in Chinese a non sequitur is a horse's lips sewed
to a cow's head, but to most Chinese people that just means: doesn't
follow).

Vygotsky's full of good metaphors, even when he is attacking other people
for being metaphorical. At the beginning of HDHMF he attacks botanical and
zoological metaphors for child development--but of course he uses the
metaphor of the foolish gardener who counts only the ripe fruit and ignores
the ripening fruit as early as 1926 and "Educational Psychology" and he
continues to use it as late as "Thinking and Speech". My favorite metaphor
is that science concepts do not drop into the child's mouth "like already
roasted pigeons falling out of the sky". I have never been able to discover
if this is fresh and original or trite and banal to native speakers in
Russian--in any case, Minick just says "science concepts do not drop into
the child's mouth like hotcakes".

But I think we really need to stop blaming our tools--that is, our
translations. The key to "what the child can do with assistance today he
will do without assistance tomorrow" is right there in "Mind in Society",
and it's even more widely quoted: it's page 86, where Vygotsky lays out,
step by step, the measurement of the ZPD, and he does so in years. He also
speaks very casually of the various methods that you might use to help the
child with a problem that the child cannot solve independently: Different
experimenters might use different methods: leading questions, starting a
solution and allowing the child to finish;  doing a demonstration and
asking for the child to repeat (and elsewhere he uses "imitation" as the
main content of assistance. But we have focused entirely on the incidental
and epiphenomenal--the "scaffolding methods"--and ignored the essential and
indispensable--the underlying circleof concepts that must underpin
development. That's not the fault of the translator.

The term "critical period" has a very specific meaning, Henry--it belongs
to ages one, three, seven, thirteen, and seventeen, and each crisis has a
specific content (one is the discovery that other people don't understand
proto-speech, three is the crisis of "no!", seven is the crisis of "acting
out", etc.). There's a good discussion of the indispensability of the
crisis to Vygotsky's scheme in the argument I had with Wolff-Michael Roth
about his piece on neoformations in MCA. Roth uses freezing ice as an
example of a crisis, but I think this is a perfect example of purely
metaphorical use. I think the same thing is true of using the idea of
"Critical Period" from Lenneberg. What Lenneberg really meant was that if
you don't acquire a language by puberty, you never will. Vygotsky also
believes in "maximally sensitive periods" for language learning, but these
are not critical. By the way, Vygotsky doesn't think that puberty is a
crisis!

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

and then when he talks about Actually, the key is right there, on p.