[Xmca-l] Re: MCA Issue 3 article for discussion Re-started

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 21:54:20 PST 2016

Larry:

The article doesn't use "object" at all. The word "work" is used to refer
to classwork or schoolwork done by high school students.

I sometimes work with data from infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, so I
can't really afford the belief that theories we use in research have to be
understandable to our research subjects in every detail; I think it's
perfectly okay to use a theory as a "lens" so long as you understand that
you are the one on the receiving end of a distorted view.

But I think that when we read an article, we really DO have to understand
it on its own terms and not on ours. So I am assuming that "work" doesn't
mean all the things that Larry is talking about: it just means school work.
Actually, Larry, most of the time when the authors use "work" it is used as
a verb.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University