[Xmca-l] Re: The Local State of Mind

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:49:56 PST 2016

Mike,
Is it possible that our professional concerns on the xmca site and yesterday’s  USA self-revelation may have some overlapping shared historical contexts.
For example this month’s article describes *social imaginaries* and exploration of authoritarian personality character or disposition.

Yesterday was a seismic earth shattering event.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: mike cole
Sent: November 9, 2016 11:47 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] The Local State of Mind

​Even as I seek to narrow the focus of my thinking to areas of professional
concern, such as that
concerning Vygotsky/meaning/communication etc., the mental work it requires
to screen out the impact of the election is exhausting.

One long time xmca participant sent a note saying he needed time to come to
grips with what
has happened and how to live in a community for whom the outcome of this
election is seen as a life saving, noble, affair. Many colleagues,
particularly women who have been struggling since the
1960's and 70's for equal rights, report difficulty breathing.

That our local crisis is not just about us seems important to keep in
mind.  But the country's self revelation last night was a real shock.

To give you some idea of how this is seen here at UCSD I paste below a
letter to faculty from a concerned, experienced, departmental administrator
to convey some sense of trauma that many in this community  experiencing.
It reflects what i am hearing from many communities to which I am somehow
connected, and I expect you are too. In 50 years of teaching at a
university I have never seen such a document related to an election.  9/11
and recent mass shootings are other events that have evoked this kind of
trauma.

Coming to terms.... and looking forward to the discussion of the
consequences of neoliberal STEM education.
mike
--------------------

Dept Letter about "resources for after the election":

I wanted to remind our community of general resources available for
self-care, coping skills and connection.

First, our department has organized a workshop with the *Faculty Staff &
Assistance Program (FSAP) *to be held *Monday, November 14th from 3:00 -
4:00 in Mandler 1539*.  This is available to all members of our community
to help process emotions and provide general support and resilience
strategies for dealing with stressful life events.

FSAP is also available for appointments (for faculty, staff, post-docs,
labstaff and their family members).  You can arrange an appointment here:
http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/services/support/counseling/appointment.html

For undergraduate and graduate students, *Counseling and Psychological
Services* is available to assist you.  Please call if you wish to make an
appointment: (858) 534-3755.  More information available here:
http://caps.ucsd.edu

As a reminder, CAPS offers drop-in workshops for all students daily.
Today’s is “Mindfulness for Daily Living” and occurs at Student Health
Services from 3-4:30.  More information here:  http://caps.ucsd.edu/groups.
html

Additionally, I believe all of the Campus Community Centers (Black Resource
Center, Cross-Cultural Center, the LGBT Resource Center, the Raza Resource
Centro, the Women’s Center) are having some open hours this week.  This
site provides details for each:  http://community.ucsd.edu

Finally, a word for *instructors* of classes.  The person-to-person (not
office-to-person) recommendation from CAPS is to have compassion with
students who are feeling distressed in the wake of the election.  You may
wish to be compassionate with respect to rescheduling or postponing
scheduled exams; keep in mind that if you postpone an exam for one student,
you must be willing to do the same for all other students under similar
circumstances.  Please feel free to use me as a resource when considering
whether or how to adjust your class.  For students in distress, refer them
as needed to the resources above, and also recall the Triton Concern Line,
(858) 246-1111 (more information here:  http://blink.ucsd.edu/
instructors/advising/concern/index.html#Communicating-sensitive-informa)

Thank you all for being a community that can work together despite
differences of opinion and thank you for being supportive of those who need
support now and in the coming weeks.