[Xmca-l] Re: What are we doing here?

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 11:07:14 PDT 2016

Dana,
My name is Larry Purss.
I have had a chance to glance at Dorothy Holland’s and Margaret Eisenhart’s book and their findings that undergraduate women are educated in romance through being confined to a culture of the peer group. Their study reveals the extent to which the stuff of daily conversations, and the preoccupations, the joys, the pains, the sufferings, were confined to their peer group. Identity ideals and ideaology.
The peer culture in turn was *centered* around gender relations.

My commentary and rejoinder is the archaic concept of *philia* as a deeply felt truth as one aspect or mode of *eros* that maybe should be acknowledged and may be expressed in fémininist theory and cultural imaginary. Validating this desire and longing for peer relations that has become disinherited in neo-liberal times
Larry

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Walker, Dana
Sent: November 5, 2016 10:46 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Wilkinson
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: What are we doing here?

Thank you lpscholar2.

I’m sorry I don’t know your name.

Dana

On 11/5/16, 9:04 AM, "xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of lpscholar2@gmail.com" <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

    Vandy,
    Your reasons for being here in this virtual community resonate with my reasons. I read about *salon* culture or instituting co-generative deeply reflective conversations within the stream of consciousness in particular coffee house ways of place making and they had a different feel or mood than most academic places of specialization.
    XMCA has some overlap with salon social, cultural, and imaginary place making.

    I now want to make a volitional shift in my personal stream of consciousness to return to the title of this thread (what are we doing here?).
    Mike presented two concerns requiring our care going forward.
    *more gender balance
    *Less chaining  and more sustained reflection.
    I wonder when we talk about *turns* (leaving safe harbours, or refuge,) such as the linguistic turn or rhetorical turn, or pragmatic/action turn if we are not now deeply into an *ethical* turn where invitations are presented and we can respond or turn away and each way of responding has  ethical con-sequences.
    In this spirit of turns i want to return to Peg’s and Dana’s con-tributions. Peg referred to loose *threads* that are left and can be picked up and *resumed*. This seems to involve zig-zagging, or turns, or reversability with a 3 part structure. The zig-gap-zag structure.

    This brings me to my stream of consciousness and picking up Dana’s loose thread.
    She invited us to turn toward Margaret Eisenhart the author of this months article who expresses a feminist voice within her two written books.
    Dana sent out an invitation as a thread that was dropped and went silent. My now picking up Dana’s thread is my way of acknowledging her contribution and how it entered my stream of consciousness. I had intended to google Eisenhart’s books on Dana’s recommendation and to hear a feminist voice. However, that morning, both Rein’s referring to his new book, and David Kellogg posting Vygotsky’s last lecture turned me away from Dana’s invitation and her thread became a loose and silent thread with no acknowledgement and no intertwining within co-generation in the stream of consciousness.
    I am now saying i today will turn back, pick up Dana’s loose thread (thanks Peg for this metaphor) and *resume* what i was initially  intending to do. I also want to turn to David’s article and Rein’s book later (taking time)  but as an ethical response to the Mike’s call to develop the emerging theme of gender balance i will first acknowledge and pick up and follow Dana’s loose thread and hope this loose thread (as a feminist response) will become weaved into our intertwining tapestry.
    Margaret Eisenhart and Carrie Allen suggest our theories and social imaginaries are being *hollowed out* and shallow. Rein’s book overlaps with this concern. The feminist response is to *take care* within our emerging concerns and my sharing how i volitionally entered my stream of conciousness to *take care* and *resume* a loose thread is my morning contemplation

    Sent from my Windows 10 phone