[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:13:44 PDT 2016

Annalisa,

It was I, and not Jacob, who originally brought up that the concept of
"logic" has engendered roots because of the roots it had in a Western
tradition that has long favored the activity of those who identify as male
versus those who identify as female or other.

If power influences meaning than our definiton of logic was influenced by
existing structures.

I was not in anyway trying to suggest the conclusion men are logical and
women are illogical. I think the song quote goes, "That's right the women
are smarter."

What I positing, and then to which Jacob provided some research to support,
was that how we as a society view an epistemological definition of "logic"
and how to "make logical arguments" is rooted in the same power structures
and discourse patterns that have lead to gender inequality.

I didn't respond.... yet...to calls for clarifications of my thoughts about
gender and etymology of logic mainly because I had to do work that pays
bills (get feedback out to students) and I wasn't prepared (either with
energy or knowledge) to argue subjectivity versus objectivity.

It is just as  hard to convince a hunter to be a vegetarian as it  is to
argue with someone rooted rationalism that objectivism may not exist.

I am intrigued by this idea that Rein brought up that our gender fluidity
changes over time and cultures. Yet I am always reminded that the Western
heroes we celebrate today ...Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Batman and
Superman...share much of the ideal male detailed in Greek and Roman
mythology. Until recently female heroes were missing from our ideal.

I have to disagree with David that gender differences are rooted at some
biological differences. I think I may have more in common with any given
female as I do with any given male. Yet as the father of three boys I can
see the differences of engendered practices up close. I really don't know
the answer. I think this is because we have conflated gender and sex as a
binary and it isn't.

I might suggest we retire this thread and split it into three:
-Creating more inclusive practices on XMCA
-Engendered nature of logic
- the role of reproduction, deman, and production

As I stated earlier listserves are awful for this kind of conversation
because they work so well. I don't think the current format, while allowing
for distributed thought and federated content,  has all the tagging and
moderation tools necessary to ensure an inclusive environment.