[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:57:26 PDT 2016

Hi David,

I'm not sure I agree with this.  I haven't sorted out all my thinking on this so I'm going to refer to Illich who I have been reading lately (caveat, I am always influenced by interesting thinker I am reading at the moment).  I think his argument would be objectivist, rationalist logic is adaptive, but basically it is adaptive for those who seek dominance.  It can, and often is, used as a blunt force instrument to stymie more subtle forms of human interaction and experience.  Of course we must build super highways because that makes our trade more efficient.  But do we necessarily want more efficient trade between specific centers of commerce?  Then what happens to the local activities that combine trade with discovery and understanding at the day to day level.  The argument is made we can't talk about that because it is not logical.  Harkening back to Annalisa's post, the objective rationalists then throw in scarcity as a decided variable when perhaps there is no scarcity.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David H Kirshner
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 11:47 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Whereas there's certainly a political dimension to the evolution of discourse forms, it's not the only one.
An objectivist, rationalist epistemology became ascendant primarily because it's adaptive.
Societies equipped with this discourse were able to create sciences and technologies that enabled them to prevail over other societies.

To see how far removed this evolution is from gender politics we only have to look at the history of this ascendance in Europe in which tensions between epistemologies played out primarily between one group of white males empowered by religious institutions and another group of white males reflecting secular power sources.
In those terms, I think we have regard first wave feminism as ameliorative.
Women won the right to participate in institutions/professions guided by objectivist, rationalist epistemology.

Perhaps this kind of logic is regarded as 'male' because of historical associations, or perhaps biological differences between the sexes predispose males to that kind of logic (Kimura, 1999). Whatever the reason, it seems unwise to regard the matter purely in political terms, ignoring the adaptive value discursive practices.

David

Kimura, D. (1999). Sex differences in the brain. Scientific American, 274, 26-31. http://www.case.edu/affil/sigmaxi/documents/D.KimuraScientificAmerican_gender-brain_.pdf