[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:29:09 PDT 2016

Hi Greg,

Are you making the argument that enclosed logic (logic that follows a set of predetermined feedback loops) is Western and gendered or are you saying that logic in general is Western and gendered.  The dominance of the type of enclosed logic that you find in Western academics is relatively new I think (not the type of logic itself, but the dominance of this particular approach to thinking and design).  It has become so dominant that we often cannot think outside of it.  I think this type of logic is promoted by specific types of ideology that are male dominated.  But there have been other types of logic through history that are more open - more based in experimentation and creativity, including for instance Pragmatic logic (look at Dewey), participatory logic (look at Fals Borda and Illich) and open feedback loops (look at von Foerster and Bateson).  I'm not sure how gendered these logics are even though they were promoted by white males).  There is also a good deal of feminist logic I believe.  I agree with you closed logic is troublesome and can be debilitative to discussion.  I think this list though goes through different periods.  Eugene Matusov used to end his missives with the tag line, "What do you think."   Mike has often taken a step back to wonder what he and everybody else is actually talking about.  The list I think has been a combination over time of the different types of logic, but just like with the world at large one can come to dominate (especially the enclosed logic because dominance is one of its precepts).

I think I disagree with you on argumentation in non-Western cultures (although I wonder how much argumentation actually means argumentation here).  It is not that there is no word for it - it is that there is no word for it in educational paradigms - and at least people I talk to from these other cultures are not happy about this.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Mcverry
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 10:13 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>; lpscholar2@gmail.com
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

I want to bring a call back to the idea of logic and gender.

Someone in the thread noted that "academic discourse" wasn't about winning but simply prevailing logic. Anna commented back you could be logical and not be a "jerk" about it.

Maybe both statements can be true.

White males may not excel in this type of logic simply based on their privilege. Though I am sure privilege plays a huge role.

Could it be the Western tradition of logic is itself rooted in gender inequality? It is a field a few thousand years old that was made up by white men arguing "logically" with other white men. Naturally the discourse practices would signify and reinforce membership within these circles.
Exclusion of underrepresented voices has influence how the concept of "logic" has evolved.

I keep thinking about "logic" and argumentation as I begin to interact with scholars outside of the US. We have put a strong emphasis on arguing in our
K12 curriculum. Yet when I talk to people from other countries they note a word for "argumentative writing" or "argumentation" does not really exist in their language. Which as we know influences thought...which influences language..and both contribute to culture and activity.

So could it be the gender bias that has existed in the listserv is a symptom of stressing a definition of "logic" maybe engendered. Notice the talk in our models of logic have been proving who is right and who is wrong? What translation is best for example.

It is one individual "proving" he is right rather than they reaching a consensus on what is right.