[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Tue Nov 1 06:53:14 PDT 2016

Hello, Maria Christina Migliore and hello again to other xmca folk:
I am happy to learn from your experience based suggestions of causes about women's participation in the list.
I want to pick up the thread of time.  I'm old and loving it (and not just because of not particularly wanting the alternative to growing older, to use an old joke)!
I like the expression "taking time."  Old folks can take more time -- yes, there are still demands on it many related to gender by habit and choice, but many of us find more expertise and equanimity as we work through/with the demands.

I have read and heard about bucket lists -- things people want to do before they die.
Me?  Not so much.  I think the bucket list is like the notion "scaffolding."  People use that metaphor about teaching/learning and I have objected to it because a scaffold is built to suit a particular KNOWN building.  I don't believe teaching and learning are like that on their best appearances.
Instead, I like the Zo-Ped (ZPD, Zone of Proximal development), better exactly because we don't know where it's going to go. I don't want people to be stuck ONLY with the thought or physical structures I know about/live with.  In fact, I get great solace from knowing I can contribute to the future without it being stuck with only what I can imagine.
Instead of a bucket list, I have things I want to leave behind that aren't finished when I die but that have enough threads (like those on a tea bag) that folks might later trip over it or pull on it and do something with that I do not know and cannot imagine.
I know enough of the fine and horrible that have happened and might happen so that I want to contribute to enough variation in the future so that there will be a chance to support the fine in the future.
So, when I just had a meeting in which educators talked about fostering critical thinking among youngsters and almost immediately after I saw a TV advertisement -- very polished, very expensive, clearly very planned -- that used correlation to imply causation to support a political candidate that I am spending time to defeat.  Luckily(?), I was waiting in a bar where the TV ad was playing so I had a good martini while I waited for a tardy friend!
I don't know how understanding this is gender related, but suspect there might be some relations.

Peg Griffin

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Maria Cristina Migliore
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2016 12:11 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Hello to everyone,

I am a woman who likes following the discussion on xmca, but has intervened into xmca discussions only once, even if I enrolled five or six years ago.

I thank Mike Cole to have raised the issue of few female voices on this listserv.

This is a very complex issue. I would approach this topic by referring to my own experience in this listserv. This is a typical feminist approach:
starting from our own experience and avoiding generalization.

I think that one of the reasons that keeps me out from contributing to the interesting debates here in this listserv is time. When I read so many posts from the same people, and some very long posts, I wonder whether these people, all men, have family responsibilities, whether they have to go shopping, cooking, cleaning, dealing with the increasing bureaucracy in our lives. I am an Italian woman, and one could learn from Italian statistics that we Italian women work for the well-being at home much longer hours than our men.

I am also wondering whether the knowledge cumulated by these men can be explained by this different social division of labour between men and women.

These elements, less time and less erudition, create an unbalance and some difficulties in participation.

So this is my main explanation for my own rare appearance in this listserv.
But of course, this adds up to the other factors already mentioned in this thread.

I conclude with noticing that my feminist approach, talking about myself, seems quite the opposite to the dominant approach in this listserv, so focused on theories and abstraction. Could this be another reason to keep silent the women’s and other socially marginalized voices in this listserv, for they/we feel this terrain as foreign?

I guess that if we want to hear more of these voices, we should accept a higher mixture of practice and theory thinking, and also emotions and tensions toward transformation and change, in our discussions.

And I also need to learn how to write short posts!

Maria-Cristina Migliore, Ph.D

Senior researcher

IRES-Piemonte

Torino (Italia)

--

Maria Cristina Migliore, Ph.D.

Senior Researcher

IRES Istituto Ricerche Economico Sociali del Piemonte

Via Nizza, 18

10125 Torino – Italia

Tel. +39 011 6666463

cell. 348 0454272

Fax.  +39 011 6696012

e-mail   migliore@ires.piemonte.it

skype mariacristinamigliore

IRES web www.ires.piemonte.it

LinkedIn Maria Cristina Migliore

personal web www.mariacristinamigliore.it (Italiano)

personal web www.mariacristinamigliore.it/index_e.htm (English)

*Con il tuo 5 per mille all’IRES Piemonte contribuisci a migliorare la vita nella tua regione.*

*Info: www.ires.piemonte.it/5xmille.html
<http://www.ires.piemonte.it/5xmille.html>*

*P* Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

Nota di riservatezza: Il presente messaggio, corredato dei relativi allegati, contiene informazioni da considerarsi strettamente riservate ed è destinato esclusivamente alla persona destinataria sopra indicata, la quale è l'unica autorizzata ad usarlo, copiarlo e, sotto la propria responsabilità, diffonderlo. Chiunque ricevesse questo messaggio per errore o comunque lo leggesse senza esserne legittimata è pregata di rinviarlo alla mittente distruggendone l'originale. Grazie. Si prega inoltre di tenere conto che la trasmissione non può essere garantita senza errori e in sicurezza.

This message and any files or documents attached are confidential and may also be legally privileged or protected by other legal rules. It is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender, delete it from your system and do not copy or disclose it or its contents or use it for any purpose. Thank you. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.