[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: [Sed-l] "Should anthropology break up withethnography?"

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:09:17 PDT 2016

Mike, a very interesting proposal.
As I read Tim’s wanting to focus on humaning as verbs  I am wondering if this notion shares an affinity with the concept of *mitsein* (our being in the world together WITH each other).
Actions take place in the world and not in nature. World meaning a domain of openness or a place of *presence*.
Frederick Olafson clarifies this distinction when he says:
“if the distinction between *world* and *nature* is not maintained , then actions simply become another kind of event in a mileau, in which people, (like everything else) are merely *side by side* with one another.
In other words to imagine being side by side with others is not *mitsein* and may also be not *humaning* as verb.

The concept of *mitsein* which notes we are *primordially WITH the other, focussing attention on  this ek/sistence that supplies the necessary condition for all further understanding of the humaning world which may be lacking in ethnographic description  that may be focusing more on our being side by side each other.
For mitsein (and possibly humaning) the pairing of one’s own (being in the world) WITH that of real orhers (being in the world) becomes a *constitutive element* within all our perceptions of (and) thoughts about this mutually shared world.
As adults we can try to call into question humaning which is in effect calling into question something that has enabled us to reach the point where we can pose these questions and write descriptions of moving together *side by side*.
This lacks the depth of humaning and mitsein.
Larry

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: mike cole
Sent: May 13, 2016 10:21 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Fwd: [Sed-l] "Should anthropology break up withethnography?"

The discussion in the blog post below ought to be relevant to all those on
the list who use qualitative
methods they identify as ethnographic in their work.

mike

Provocatively posted on the Cultural Anthropology journal Facebook page
this morning with the heading "Should anthropology break up with
ethnography?" a letter responding to a recent Tim Ingold piece.

http://www.culanth.org/fieldsights/874-ethnography-translation

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch