[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

Helen Harper helen.harper@bigpond.com
Fri May 6 01:40:04 PDT 2016

Hmm, David, I hesitate to jump in too deep, because I haven’t time right now to read things properly, so I can’t engage sufficiently with the papers under discussion, but I don’t think it’s a matter of choosing to believe in phonemes or not. Phonemes are just a tool of analysis. They are a perceived unit: as an English speaker I perceive /p/ is different from /b/; and /pin/ is a different word from /bin/  - so /p/ and /b/ are distinct phonemes for English speakers.

There might be situations where there are better tools of analysis, but often phonemes are just dandy, and can come in very handy when you’re learning a new language, and trying to figure out how to distinguish the different sounds.

But not really my area of expertise, so I’ll finish my plug for phonemes right here ….