[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Tue May 3 05:03:55 PDT 2016

Andy, as you know, LSV had contact over a number of years with Gustav Shpet. For example, according to V. Zinchenko, at the end of the 1920s, Shet and Vygotsky both taught in the Pedology Department of the Second Moscow University.

In 1936-37 Shpet completed a Russian translation of Hegel’s Phenomenology, for which he had been awarded a contract by the State Socio-Economic Publishing House. Obviously this was after LSV’s death, but presumably Shpet was already very familiar with Hegel before starting work on the translation. Shpet was a scholar, he had around 30,000 books in his Moscow apartment.  Equally significantly, in 1913 Ernest Radlov had translated the Phenomenology into Russian. Shpet drew upon this earlier translation, and I see no reason to assume that it would have been unavailable to LSV, or that it went unread by any Russian Marxist or psychologist.

Martin