[Xmca-l] Re: Mediating Activity and Mediated Activity

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:00:01 PDT 2016

Andy:

You and I both come out of the pugilistic left, and we live in a country
where socks are considered formal apparel. So I imagine that no question
mark is required to start a discussion; nor pulling of punches to finish
one.

I think I made the case that the distinction was pretty useful, at least to
Beyoncé fans--if not, see Vygotsky's conclusion to Chapter Two of HDHMF,
where he points out that the precise nature of the relationship of signs
and tools needs to be worked out yet, but in any case that relation is
indirect; it MUST pass through a super-category he calls MEDIATING
activities. For YOU and for HEGEL, all activity can be said to be both
mediating and mediated, but this is a non-developmental point of view: for
a developmentalist, one must perforce be differentiated first.
Phylogenetically, it seems likely that tools were differentiated before
signs, but ontogenetically it is usually the other way around.

What really IS academic in the extreme is your own distinction between
"really quoting" Hegel and quoting Hegel in a footnote to Marx academic.
It's also quite unprovable. By the way, this might be a good place to
acknowledge the corrections you have recently made to your assertion that
every single Hegel reference you have found in Vygotsky's work can be found
verbatim in Marx.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University