[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination;semiotic mediation

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 28 10:11:58 PDT 2016

The Eisenshtein material I sent was from the section of the first chapter
of the book that I had students read in class. It has informed my thought
about the word/image problem. There are lots of fascinating ideas in his
work, including the link between Chines ideograms and the principle of
montage.

I am sure more is available elsewhere, that is what I had to hand.
mike

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mike,
> I believe the final scene of Eisenshtein is missing.
> (or at least the last few pages seem to be missing - perhaps intentionally
> so?).
> -greg
>

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Ed Wall <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > David
> >
> >       Very insightful. At least,that is my perspective.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > > On Mar 27, 2016, at  3:41 PM, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Greg:
> > >
> > > We are taught to think that Trump is boorish and uncultured and from
> the
> > > wrong side of the Hudson because of his hair-trigger reactions. How is
> it
> > > possible to teach us to do this--WITHOUT noticing that this very
> teaching
> > > reliably informs us that the whole playground game started with a taunt
> > > from Senator Rubio? (It was, actually, a very well aimed taunt,
> designed
> > > bring out the ease with which this potential president can be jerked
> > > around, one that suggests strategic knowledge of Trump's greatest
> > > weaknesses; it was not, as Rubio himself claimed, something he just
> > > stumbled into by accident in the desperate flailing of his dying
> > campaign).
> > >
> > > We are taught to think that this is all highly regrettable. How is it
> > > possible to teach us to do this--WITHOUT noticing that the very people
> > > teaching this are the ones who created this carnival atmosphere where
> > > serious discussions are impossible--mostly these hard, unfunny 24-7
> > comedy
> > > shows which are always so hard up for their hard, unfunny material,
> > > relying, again and again, on the puerile devices of profanity and
> > > industrial quantities of canned laughter? How not to notice that people
> > who
> > > most "shocked, shocked!" are precisely the people who have littered
> > > politics with what are essentially unserious, unsocial, non-political
> > > lifestyle issues? (Not just the comedy shows. which have been the death
> > of
> > > comedy as well as the death of politics, but the Evangelical
> Christians,
> > > and above all the 24-7 news people who have to talk about politics all
> > day
> > > and all night without ever really talking class or social issues of any
> > > kind.)
> > >
> > > Here's what I notice. We notice Trump's boorishness and not Rubio's
> just
> > > because Trump is bigger than Rubio (I am not referring to their male
> > > endowments). We notice vulgarity in others but not in ourselves because
> > > when I do it on national television and you laugh at it in the privacy
> of
> > > your own home, it's just not so "in your face" for either of us.

> [...]

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch