[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination;semiotic mediation

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 08:39:50 PDT 2016

Should we say anything about the fact that nobody has mentioned the "hand
envy" moment of one of the recent Republican debates (the one where
politics was raised to new lows)?
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-yorker-cover-about-trumps-hand-size-2016-3
(you should really check out the original debate - really amazing stuff)

Nor has anyone said anything about the hailing hand gesture done at some
Trump rallies (note: this is a Trump-supporting page, but no, I'm not a
Trump supporter, it had the least ads of any of the descriptions I could
find):
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/08/trump_controvery_over_trump_pledge_salute.html

Did everyone just assume that this is common knowledge? Or did people not
know about these hand-y origins?
And if you didn't know about this, does knowing this deepen the meaning of
the image?

and a recent Daily show segment where Black Trump responds to the New
Yorker cover:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-daily-shows-black-trump-reenacts-the-donalds-crazy-rant-about-his-hands/

-greg

--