[Xmca-l] Imagination;semiotic mediation

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:43:33 PDT 2016

I invite comment on the process of interpreting images using the most
recent New Yorker cover as an example. They often strike me as especially
rich condensed representations.
They are one of the means I use to think about Eisenshtein, who David has
brought into recent discussions to useful effect.

How do you interpret the raised hand and inscriptions to be found at
newyorker.com if you scroll down the page. The leftmost image with a hand.
How do you interpret it from first impression to reflective summary/label?

If this proves interesting the cover with the stop sign would be a second
choice.

Mike

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch