[Xmca-l] Re: Community Psychology

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Mar 23 13:22:31 PDT 2016

Greg,

This quote from Seymour Sarason struck a nerve with me.  Did psychology focus on the individual or did psychology focus on the simple.  I am thinking more and more rich, complex ideas are introduced and then there often seems to be a regression to the simply - and I keep have to remind myself those things I believe often provide a limited picture - that our beliefs limit what we will let ourselves see.  I am thinking perhaps this relates to meaning.  As you mentioned does meaning have to be absolute or anarchic, is there something in the middle.  I feel like the target article tries to speak to that when speaking of shared meaning in culture, almost that even shared meaning is a double edged sword, that we need it because it makes our work easier, but that it also restricts our possibilities - it is dangerous to go beyond the boundaries of shared meaning, but then we fear anarchy, perhaps our meaning id.  But can we see meaning as a continuous process.  I know - or I believe Bakhtin speaks to this, but honestly I don't have enough knowledge to talk about this.  But I wonder (and this is based on readings I have been doing on technologists like Douglas Engelbart and Ted Nelson) something with simultaneously respect and struggle with.  Respect because we take seriously where it comes from, we do not simply grab it from the air for our own purposes - something that happens more than we like to admit - but has a real history, a web like evolution that (at least now) can go back and explore.  At the same time meaning is only as valuable as its function in meeting our needs.  That we realize there is a chance, a good chance, that the meaning we have now may not work to solve our problems.  So we try and understand - or re-understand it in our current circumstance, in the process changing its historical meaning for the next node in the web - I sort of feel that was part of the purpose of the article.  That is re-engages us in re-understanding what zone of proximal development and activity settings mean in that shadow of
 problems faced by community psychology.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:11 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Community Psychology

Mike,

Well, if it was just rats in mazes, you surely appreciated this from Sarason's piece that you just sent:

"American psychology has always been a psychology of the individual. I have long maintained that if Thorndike had put more than one rat in the maze, we would have had a more productive and realistic basis for understanding social behavior. Riveting on the individual organism has had the effect of blunting the study of contexts-that is, ecology"

So, did you ever try it?
-greg