[Xmca-l] Re: Which comes first, context or text?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 23 08:49:49 PDT 2016

Oh! I am behind the discussion and Alfredo has found an excellent Ingold
quote.

My encounters with the metaphor? I think it was Ray McDermott's interview
with Birdwhistle that I first encountered during the time when we were
working together at Rock U. Then, teaching a course in Communication at
UCSD on "how to read a film" with a colleague, I came upon the James
passages, stuck into
the middle of a compendium she gave me in connection with the films we were
using. And somewhere in there, perhaps in re-reading Barker in connection
with Jean Lave's invocation of his work, I hit upon Barker.

I am a sucker for threes.

I use the metaphor to think about the notion of different "strands of
history" - phylogeny, cultural history, ontogeny, and microgenesis -- how
they are woven and re-woven in the course of ontogeny.

It seems to have as one of its intellectual sources, Goethe that Luria led
me to.

And so philosophers step in

To weave a proof that things begin,

Past question, with an origin.

With first and second well rehearsed,

Our third and forth can be deduced.

And if no second were or first,

No third or fourth could be produced.

As weavers though, they don't amount to much.

To docket living things past any doubt

You cancel first the living spirit out;

The parts lie in the hollow of your hand,

You only lack the living link you banned.

           Goethe, 1988, p.95)

I have posted that rope metaphor material before. This is the first time it
has found resonance. Must have something to do with .... context.  :-)

Larry is correct in pointing out the "carrying on" dimension, the temporal
dimension of the metaphor. Moreover, the carrying on is itself a
multi-generational process (the necessary interwraping of fibres to make a
whisp of a thread).

Together, these kinds of thoughts suggest why the weaving metaphor of
context has an intuitive feel to it.
At least it does for me!