[Xmca-l] Which comes first, context or text?

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 02:01:44 PDT 2016

David,

I have opened a new strand to avoid distracting from the discussion of the Tharp and O'Donnell article.

If we go back to the roots of text in weaving it makes sense that, in the wider sense to which you allude, text is always between people. It is when people connect their interests in some way and share meanings that stuff and events get woven into text. Even if you hadn't said anything when you presented the book to the 9 month old baby, the second presentation would be recognised as a social event - 'Oh yes, this thing that we do' and this feeling of shared experience does seem to play an important part in infants' assisted ability to weave public, cultural meanings into their private, personal experiences.

As Vygotsky noted, infants develop within an already woven context of culture so what happens to and around them is pre-patterned and because humans are oddly interested in what their infants are interested in, interactions serve to model particular weaving patterns and styles. Studies by Tomasello, Moll and colleagues (discussed in Moll, H. and Meltzoff, A. (2011) Joint Attention as the fundamental basis of understanding perspectives. In A. Seemann (ed.) Joint Attention: new developments in psychology, philosophy of mind, and social neuroscience. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 393-413) show that 12 month old infants appear to 'remember' their interactions with a researcher and selected toys but only if they have played with the toys together - watching the researcher play with the toys, or playing with them while the researcher watches, does not provide enough embodied, enactive, interactive experience to shape future interactions (and the infant's knowledge is 'context specific' - not extended to other researchers or other toys).

So there is a naming problem here. Is there, as you say, no context without specific, personally experienced and woven text? Or is there a pre-existing context which, as yet unbeknown to the weaver, influences and guides the texts which come to be formed? Infants are surrounded by a cultural context which is richly and densely shaped by the concept systems which have evolved out of the patterns in people's behaviour. What their caregivers do with, to and around them is shaped both by what those caregivers have seen other people do and by a long history of people hearing and reading about what other people do and have done. I would like to be able to use context to refer to the culturally patterned environment in which infants are helped to notice particular kinds of patterns but you want the word (if I have understood correctly - and what are the chances?) to refer to a personal frame of reference. This is helpful for me, highlighting the way the 'same' cultural environment can be woven into different contexts by different weavers, but that leaves me needing another word for the co-woven, negotiated environment which enables infants to join in before they have sorted out or internalised the concept systems which shape it. And which allows someone entering a new job or a new role to sidle in from peripheral participation to feeling they belong at the core of the group.

If you haven't already read Katherine Nelson's 'Young Minds in Social Worlds: experience, meaning and memory' (Harvard 2007) I would strongly recommend this - she develops a strongly Vygotskyan argument that infant development has to be understood in terms of interwoven processes of making sense and making relationships - drawing together a huge amount of research on early communication and meaning sharing.

All the best,

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: 20 March 2016 20:31
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Rod:

Actually, that's just the kind of text I'm working with right now. Here's the plan. Every week, we give a nine month old baby a book. We ask four questions in two languages (because the baby has one Korean speaking parent and one English speaking one):

a) English: What's this?
b) English: Is it a ...?
c) Yigot mueo ya? (What's this?)
d) ... yi ya?   (Is it a ...?)

Sometimes we mix up the order. This goes on every week for the next three years, as the child first figures out that a book is not edible. That it contains pictures. That that the pictures are not just colors but meant to be signs. That beneath the pictures there are letters. That the letters are not just drawings but are meant to be symbols. That the symbols encode settings, characters, and problems. That the problems can only be solved by means of dialogue, etc.

Now, the first time I tried this, the child simply could not concentrate on the object for any length of time. But the SECOND time I did it, the child literally could not look away from it! You could see that although the child had no idea what was being said, the child was might just be starting to think some proto-language equivalent of "What's this?" "Is it a...?" "Yi got mu eo ya?" "Chaek yi ya?" And after a minute or so, the child looked up, as if to see whether the large person making so much noise might be thinking something along those lines too.

So maybe THAT's text! And as you can see it doesn't matter at all whether the text realizes concepts or feelings or just perceptions, the underlying semiotic mechanism is pretty much the same. But it seems that there's only text when something has been selected from the material setting by some human consciousness or consciousnesses for semiotic transformation; there's only text when there some kind of "metaphor" (gestural, phonological,
lexicogrammatical) for context. It seems that it's precisely THIS act of selection which transforms a material setting into a context, and it's premature to speak of context before that happens. So for example I wouldn't use the term context for the first week of work, only for the second.

I think it's legitimate to talk about "social context" and "cultural context", because I believe that context, like text, exists on a cline of instantiation. At one end, we have the relationship between a context of situation (Malinowski) and a text (Halliday). That's the end I'm at right now. At the other, we have the relationship between a context of culture (again, Malinowski) and...and a whole language system (again, Halliday). I gather that's the end at which the KEEP and the Community Development projects in Micronesia and the Delinquency Research plans are working. But I don't see how "activity" or "behaviour" can ever realize context, unless it is semiotic activity and semiotic behaviour, in which case we might as well start looking around for text. That's where the garlic and ginger is.

(Rod--I'm new at this stuff: watching infants crack the whole problem of anthropogenesis single-handed, I mean. That's how exciting it is, and that's about how baffling it is too. I know you are an old hand. Can you give me any tips on what to read and advice about what to do next?)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>