[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 14:34:38 PDT 2016

David,
I am slowly beginning to make some sense of where you are leading us in the way you are qualifying  the meaning of con/text to that which particular phenomena that occurs as a particular kind of *activity* or *behavior*. It is NOT a general endorsement of activity or behavior.
The particular quality forming this *text/context* is this process of *selection* that occurs within metaphorical ways of proceeding.
You do NOT see how activity which is NOT semiotic activity [metaphorical selecting activity] and you do NOT see how behavior that is NOT semiotic behavior  [metaphorical selecting behavior] can possibly create texts/contexts.
You are inviting [or calling] us to limit our understanding [or interstanding] of text/context to a particular subset of activity/behavior that *transforms* [through metaphorical selecting processes] the material settings.
We can speak or call something  text/context only AFTER this metaphorical selecting kind of activity/behavior *constitutes* THESE texts/contexts.

Another interesting observation is that this kind of semiotic mediation forming texts/contexts *realizes* concepts and *realizes* feelings and *realizes* perceptions . The underlying metaphorical selecting process of something becoming text/context AS semiotic mechanism remains pretty much the same.
As you call to our attention, there is ONLY the forming of text/context when *something* has been metaphorically selected *as* a selecting process [which includes gestural metaphor, phonological metaphor, and lexicogrammatical metaphor].
This selection process occurs FOR creating both text and context which moves us towards *sense* and *shared meanings*.
And this returns us to Cultural Community psychology where culture is defined AS shared meaning.

In conclusion *activity settings* and *behavioural settings* are too general and do NOT highlight or illuminate the particular KINDS of activity settings and behavioural settings that generate *sense* and *shared meanings*.
David, I hope I have done justice to your exploration of text/context??
If not I will continue to remain open to your calling me back to this topic and topos.
Larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: David Kellogg
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2016 1:33 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Rod:

Actually, that's just the kind of text I'm working with right now. Here's
the plan. Every week, we give a nine month old baby a book. We ask four
questions in two languages (because the baby has one Korean speaking parent
and one English speaking one):

a) English: What's this?
b) English: Is it a ...?
c) Yigot mueo ya? (What's this?)
d) ... yi ya?   (Is it a ...?)

Sometimes we mix up the order. This goes on every week for the next three
years, as the child first figures out that a book is not edible. That it
contains pictures. That that the pictures are not just colors but meant to
be signs. That beneath the pictures there are letters. That the letters are
not just drawings but are meant to be symbols. That the symbols encode
settings, characters, and problems. That the problems can only be solved by
means of dialogue, etc.

Now, the first time I tried this, the child simply could not concentrate on
the object for any length of time. But the SECOND time I did it, the child
literally could not look away from it! You could see that although the
child had no idea what was being said, the child was might just be starting
to think some proto-language equivalent of "What's this?" "Is it a...?" "Yi
got mu eo ya?" "Chaek yi ya?" And after a minute or so, the child looked
up, as if to see whether the large person making so much noise might be
thinking something along those lines too.

So maybe THAT's text! And as you can see it doesn't matter at all whether
the text realizes concepts or feelings or just perceptions, the underlying
semiotic mechanism is pretty much the same. But it seems that there's only
text when something has been selected from the material setting by some
human consciousness or consciousnesses for semiotic transformation; there's
only text when there some kind of "metaphor" (gestural, phonological,
lexicogrammatical) for context. It seems that it's precisely THIS act of
selection which transforms a material setting into a context, and it's
premature to speak of context before that happens. So for example I
wouldn't use the term context for the first week of work, only for the
second.

I think it's legitimate to talk about "social context" and "cultural
context", because I believe that context, like text, exists on a cline of
instantiation. At one end, we have the relationship between a context of
situation (Malinowski) and a text (Halliday). That's the end I'm at right
now. At the other, we have the relationship between a context of culture
(again, Malinowski) and...and a whole language system (again, Halliday). I
gather that's the end at which the KEEP and the Community Development
projects in Micronesia and the Delinquency Research plans are working. But
I don't see how "activity" or "behaviour" can ever realize context, unless
it is semiotic activity and semiotic behaviour, in which case we might as
well start looking around for text. That's where the garlic and ginger is.

(Rod--I'm new at this stuff: watching infants crack the whole problem of
anthropogenesis single-handed, I mean. That's how exciting it is,
and that's about how baffling it is too. I know you are an old hand. Can
you give me any tips on what to read and advice about what to do next?)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University