[Xmca-l] Re: Community Psychology

Cliff O'Donnell cliffo@hawaii.edu
Sun Mar 20 11:55:34 PDT 2016

Thanks, Mike. Attached is the manuscript for my 2012 article with
Roland. In it we discuss how we are using the concepts of context,
culture, and intersubjectivity.
Note that context is expressed in one of the goals of community
psychology by its professional organization,
the Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA):
‘'to promote theory development and research that increases
our understanding of human behavior in context’'
(SCRA 2010 )."

After discussing the many meanings of culture, we used the definition
as the "shared meanings of people, developed through their history
and activities." Also in our discussion of intersubjectivity, we noted
"intersubjectivity does not imply uniformity. Diversity may be a
shared value,
agreement about process may allow frequent conflict, and there will
always be differences among people in their skills, thoughts,
experience, and emotions. In
addition, activity settings are dynamic; their characteristics are in
flux and, therefore, the intersubjectivity of their participants
change over time (O’Donnell et al.
1993, p. 507)."

Cliff