[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:46:41 PDT 2016

Sometimes I do find myself frustrated by interdisciplinary efforts to bring
one academic enterprise into conversation with another, because I find that
disciplinary terms that I know and love have lost the meanings which made
them ginger and garlic to me.

One example: "context". The word "context" is used fifteen times, usually
as "social context" or "cultural context" or "context of activity". The
word "text" is used only once, as part of the compound word "textbook", and
the word "context" is nowhere to be found in the context.

As a linguist, I find it very hard to imagine a context without a text. Is
"context" here just a metaphor for setting, or are we literally supposed to
think of "activity" as a kind of text? Does "context" mean the material
setting, or does it mean the only those elements of the material setting
which have been selected for semiotic coding, as it does for linguists?

David Kellogg
Macquarie University