[Xmca-l] Re: Two worlds, Urie Bronfenbrenner

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sat Mar 12 07:13:57 PST 2016

I would have reached the opposite conclusion, David: that the social and interpersonal are thoroughly interpenetrated. The interactions a child has with her parents are profoundly shaped by the work that they are involved in. The food she eats, for example, is what is made possible by the wages the parents learn. The hours they are available to her at home depend on the hours they need to dedicate to work.  The child does not know this explicitly, of course, but she is living the contradictions of social class and the political economy of the society as a second nature, as though they are a natural necessity.

Martin