[Xmca-l] Re: Response to Spoilsport: Beyond oppositional dualitiesindrama in education and dialogic pedagogy to promote learning possibilities

Helen Grimmett helen.grimmett@monash.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:16:18 PST 2016

Hi Ana, Sue and others

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question about definitions of
dialogue and dialogic pedagogy. I have been teaching and in meetings flat
out for the past few days (hopefully dialogically!).

I have an article about to be published in "Studying Teacher Education" in
which I say:

"Theoretically influenced by the work of Bakhtin, Vygotsky, Dewey and
Friere, and variously referred to as Dialogic instruction (Nystrand, 1997),
Dialogic inquiry (Wells, 1999), Dialogic teaching (Alexander, 2008; Lyle,
2008), Dialogic pedagogies (Edwards-Groves, Anstey, & Bull, 2014) etc.,
these approaches all share an understanding of learning as the active
co-construction of meaning developed through joint activity and language
interactions between and amongst teachers and learners. Knowledge is
therefore not regarded as a fixed entity to be transmitted from teacher to
learner, but a fluid negotiation, re-creation and expansion of cultural,
collective and individual ideas, actions and meanings; and as such requires
different pedagogic strategies to ‘traditional’ transmissive/monologic
teaching."

 The article is a self-study of my own journey towards trying to teach in a
more dialogical way. I have been strongly influenced by Bob Fecho's work
and his position that we can really only hope to be 'more dialogical' in
classrooms, as our professional responsibilities as teachers mean that we
must be held accountable for ensuring that curricula aims are also met.
This certainly doesn't mean that we can't encourage critique, debate and
expansion of those aims, but we do have to  remain cognisant of them and
constantly work within the tension of institutional requirements and
completely free-reign dialogue.

We also have professional and moral responsibilities to ensure that we are
creating an environment in which students feel 'safe to' be able to engage
in such critique, debate and expansion as this inevitably exposes them to
risks that they have not been expected to face in more traditional
transmissive/monologic classrooms. It takes time to build trust, change
expectations, engender confidence, develop skills etc so that our
classrooms can become more dialogical in ways that expand understanding and
transform social practices rather than denigrate into hurtful arguments and
personal attacks. It doesn't mean we all have to agree, but we all have a
right to contribute and to have our contribution heard and considered
respectfully.

In my view, there is nothing wrong with a teacher contributing their own
understanding (which may or may not come from a place of greater experience
or knowledge) so long as the door (mind!) is always open to the possibility
that their may be other ways to see, do or explain things. Not to do so
would be an abdication of our professional responsibility. It is only a
problem if the teacher's way is seen as the only way. However, helping
students (and especially student teachers) to see that is really
challenging...and continues to provide plenty of research interest for me.

All I've got time for at the minute...
Cheers,
Helen

--
*Dr HELEN GRIMMETT *
Lecturer in Primary and Early Years Education

*Education*
Monash University
Room 159, Building 902, Berwick Campus
100 Clyde Road
Berwick VIC 3806
Australia

T: +61 3 9904 7171
E: helen.grimmett@monash.edu <name.surname@monash.edu>
monash.edu

The Practice of Teachers' Professional Development: A Cultural-Historical
Approach
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/professional-learning-1/the-practice-of-teachers-professional-development/>
Helen Grimmett (2014) Sense Publishers