[Xmca-l] Re: Heathcote and Immagination

Susan Davis s.davis@cqu.edu.au
Wed Mar 2 12:26:00 PST 2016

Hi Ed,
I thought you were after the more traditional theoretical writings from
Heathcote.  She used many many theoretical concepts in her work and she
did actually talk about imagination quite specfically in some of
the tapes I analysed, mainly when talking about the preparation she did
before teaching and the use of a projective imagination.  This was about
envisaging the different ways things might play out and considering
alternatives. She also talked about how she was a highly visual thinker
and that options played out in her mind as if it were a movie.  At other
times she talks about the creative
process and she also talks about imagination even if not explicitly. I’d
have to go back to my transcripts for some examples.

I am well aware of arguments that other areas beyond the arts are
concerned with imagination and feelings/emotions etc (and yes my defining
of the arts extends well beyond Art to the many different ways people use
materials, movement, sound, action and even their own lives expressively).
However I’d still come back to intention,
primary purpose and form, the primary purpose of Maths is not to express
feelings and emotions, however in much arts practice it is. I’d also
consider the accessibility of an area like Math
for expressive potential for school aged children.  There are not many
children who could/would be able to use math forms as their creative
vehicle for sharing their ideas and emotions socially.  It is also about
the qualities of such that are available for them to be able to manipulate
in combination. Elliot Eisner talked in a keynote address in 2011 about
how when a child writes a Math formula the content of such is important
but the qualities and how they are used (e.g. Red pen or blue pen, lined
paper or plain) are less so, however in the arts the quality of qualities
remains very important. They encourage the cultivation of judgment,
thinking and feeling.

In terms of my use of the term ‘feeding’ the imagination and creativity
perhaps if I explain how I first came to use that term. When I work with
pre-service education students in the arts, many of them begin the course
by saying ‘I’m not creative’.  What I say to them is that we are all
creative, and you make creative decisions in your life every day, however
you can be more creative (in the arts) if you want to be but you have to
‘feed’ your creativity. i.e. In their case choose an arts area you want to
explore and be more creative in, practice it, look at lots of examples of
other art work, identify what you like, would like to have a go at.  We
also provide them with different materials they can use, different
examples and techniques they can try out... So as Vygotsky put it adding
to the richness and variety of their experience.  If people don’t want to
engage in that (and some do nothing beyond what we do in class) so be it,
but the ones who do go beyond that, and start observing, practising and
deliberately ‘feeding’ their own creativity and imagination inevitably
create more interesting and imaginative work in the long run and also feel
a great sense of satisfaction and pride.

So I know this is not totally focussed on imagination… but more like
imagination, art, creativity and the possibilities of working with
expressive forms.

Cheers
Sue